Enabling Community coLAB was a 2 day social innovation hackathon organised by the Ministry of Social and Family Development(MSF) and SG Enable, with UP Singapore serving as the Social Innovation partner. More than 100 participants came together over the weekend of 5-6 April 2014 to create solutions to empower persons with disabilities as consumers, employees and entrepreneurs. The 10 finalists who were shortlisted on Sunday, 6 April went on to compete in the finals of the coLAB on 6 May, where 5 teams wom Jumpstart Grants of S$20,000 each from MSF.
Watch the highlights of the coLAB below!
Click here to see the winning ideas!
Yet, the world of disability is often invisible to most of us. Persons with disabilities are sometimes shielded, because of their impairment, but the lack of understanding and engagement from the wider community act as a barrier. Simply put, society cannot see past their impairments. Also, the needs for their families and carers are often not discussed.
Inspiringly, there are many persons with disabilities, who refuse to allow themselves to be defined by their impairment. They want to work, play, shop, and to be part of the community, making a contribution to their families and the society.
• Crowd-source social innovation that can empower persons with disabilities to fulfill aspirations in their roles as valued consumers, employees and entrepreneurs.
• Cultivate innovative ideas with good potential as business models to further develop as social enterprises for sustained impact.
• Empower the wider community to engage persons with disabilities as "person-first" and to see abilities rather than deficits or limitations.
• Create awareness and educate the wider community using a strengths-based approach for the inclusion of persons with disabilities.
* Notes: Estimated disability prevalence rate is according to Enabling Masterplan 2012-2016. For full report refer to: http://app.msf.gov.sg/Portals/0/Topic/Issues/EDGD/Enabling%20Masterplan%202012-2016%20Report%20(8%20Mar).pdf.
Learn more about the themes for this coLAB social innovation project here.
The workshops, featuring industry and technology experts, will provide a backdrop to the coLAB. It will dive into the issues surrounding the themes and the technologies available to help persons with disabilities.
Meet passionate people working in the disability sector. Also connect with technology gurus and expert developers. Share your expertise with others. Form new connections with like-minded innovators.
OUR ORGANISING PARTNERS
MAIN CORPORATE PARTNER
SOCIAL INNOVATION PARTNER